Two dormitories gutted down at Kapchelal secondary school

Two dormitories housing 70 students were yesterday gutted down at Kapchelal secondary school in Keiyo North Sub-County in what is suspected to be an electrical fault.

The school Principal, Gilbert Kisang said that students were in classes for their evening preps at around 7.15 pm when they saw smoke emanating from the two dormitories.

Kisang said they rushed to the dormitories but efforts to put out the fire which was fueled by the mattresses were futile but said no student was hurt during the incident.

He said that students said two days ago they had noticed some sparks from some wires, but did not report to the authorities something which was confirmed by officers from the Kenya Power and Lighting Company who visited the school.

The principal said the officers from KPLC showed them some cables with naked wires which they suspected might have caused the fire.

Kisang said the school is a mixed day school but parents raised funds and bought iron sheets, which they used to construct the school to house some of the students whom they said live far.

The principal said they were holding a meeting with the school board of management and the Sub- County education officers to decide on the next cause of action but said for now classes were going on.

This is the second fire incident to be reported in the county after a store was burnt at Chebara boys high school in Marakwet West Sub-county.

Source: Kenya News Agency