Narok Children office is looking for parents of two children who were abandoned at Ololulunga trading centre on Wednesday.
According to Narok Children’s Officer Julius Ngoko the twin boys aged one and half year were brought to his office by good Samaritans who found them crying by the roadside.
They were malnourished and looked like six months old children, but upon being examined at Narok Referral Hospital they were found to be one and half years and underweight. They are currently admitted in Narok Cottage Hospital, he said.
Last week, a woman pleaded guilty in a Narok court of abandoning her two children aged three and one year at Naivas supermarket.
Lucy Wanjiru, who appeared before Chief Magistrate Wilbroda Juma, pleaded for leniency claiming that she is a single mother and cannot afford to provide for her children.
I left them because I’m poor hence I cannot find anything to feed them. I thought the Children’s Office would find them and give them something to eat, she said.
The woman is currently held at Narok police custody and her judgment will be on June 26 this year. The two children were taken to live with their grandmother.
During celebrations of the Day of the African Child at Suswa Primary School, Narok Chief Magistrate Wilbroda Juma said the court will not relent in punishing culprits of child negligence.
It is estimated that 75 per cent of child neglect is perpetrated by immediate family members.
The act is extremely dangerous as it exposes the children to all other forms of abuse.
Source: Kenya News Agency