THREE MORE VICTIMS OF COLLAPSED NAIROBI BUILDING RESCUED ALIVE

NAIROBI, — Three more victims have been rescued alive from the ruins of a six-storey residential block in Nairobi’s Huruma residential area six days after it collapsed.

The three, a man and two women, were rescued alive, the Kenya Red Cross declared in a tweet to media organizations here Thursday. Earlier in the day, another woman was found alive and rescued from the rubble of the collapsed Huruma Building.

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero said in a Facebook posting that the woman was successfully extricated from the rubble and was a stabilized condition.

“The team of doctors looking after her will ensure she is rushed to hospital for further medical checks,” he said.

There was celebration as rescuers found the woman who was weak but without physical injuries.

Two days earlier, on May 3, rescue workers pulled out a one-year-old girl from the rubble more than 72 hours after it collapsed following heavy rain.

However, the death toll has also continued to rise with the number of fatalities reaching 35 on Thursday, while 80 people were still reported to be missing as rescue workers continued to work their way through the rubble of the collapsed structure.

The National Disaster Management Unit says the rescue operation remains delicate but will continue. The rescue efforts are neing undertaken by the military, Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre, police, St John’s Ambulance, the Kenya Red Cross Society, the Nairobi City Fire Brigade and the National Youth Service.

SOURCE: NAM NEWS NETWORK