Three people have died while 18 others are admitted at various health facilities following a suspected cholera outbreak in parts of Tana North Sub County, Tana River County.
Tana River County Director of Medical Services Dr.Oscar Endekwa, while confirming the deaths, said another 100 cases had been reported but health personnel were yet to confirm if they were positive for cholera.
The three confirmed deaths took place in remote Matagala village while the other cases were reported in Bura, Madogo, Anole and Bilbil areas, Dr Endekea said in a telephone interview Monday.
The outbreak has been on for the last two weeks, the director said.
He however said it had not been established whether the three reported deaths were as a result of cholera, but said that the 18 admissions had been confirmed.
We have so far confirmed 18 cases but we are yet to ascertain whether those who died had cholera, he said adding, We are also yet to establish if the 100 reported cases of diarrhoea and vomiting are cholera-related, he said.
Dr. Endekwa blamed poor hygienic practices among residents and the current drought that has resulted in an acute water shortage in the area for the epidemic.
He said people and animals were being forced to share water sources, adding that he had dispatched a team of health workers to the affected areas to treat the victims as well as sensitise residents on hygiene.
We have also closed all eateries in the affected areas in order to stop further spread of the disease, he said.
In September 2017, 21 National Youth Service (NYS) servicemen were hospitalised while two others died in Madogo division following another cholera outbreak.
Recently, Governor Dhadho Godhana said his government had procured enough cholera drugs following the outbreak in September and expressed hope that the pandemic would be contained.
Source: Kenya News Agency