At least six people have been admitted in different hospitals following the collapse of a four storey building in Nakuru Town Monday evening.
Witnesses said the New Muko House within Nakuru Central Business District was 20 years old and had been ear marked for demolition two days ago after tenants noticed cracks on its wall.
The building that is situated along Mburu Gichua Road had been earmarked for demolition by National Construction Authority and the county government, John Kibore, a witness said.
An insurance agent Faith Wangui had written off the building two weeks ago after an inspection that established the building was unfit for use.
Among those that sustained injuries in the late evening incident is one person now admitted in the Intensive Care Unit at the Nakuru Level Fives private wing.
Five others are admitted at the hospitals general wards where doctors attending to them say their condition was stable and they will be discharged after comprehensive observation.
The patient in ICU is reported to have been running away from the collapsing building when a speeding lorry hit him.
Dickson Mwai, a taxi operator, next to the building said business people in and around the building had vacated the area after the building was officially condemned.
Nakuru governor Lee Kinyanjui who arrived at the scene accompanied by his deputy Dr. Eric Korir, Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Wanyama Musiambo, Nakuru Town East and West Members of Parliament David Gikaria and Samuel Arama respectively said the remaining section of the building will be demolished as it posed danger to the people.
He said the county government would soon conduct a disaster preparedness and safety compliance assessment in all buildings in Nakuru to ensure the safety of occupants.
He lauded tenants in the condemned building for having heeded calls to vacate the building saying it would have been disastrous.
The county officials and those from the National Construction Authority had earlier ordered traders to vacate the building after it was noticed that it was on the verge of collapsing, he said.
Musiambo said it remains unclear if people are trapped under the rubble as the National Construction Authority (NCA) had long served the tenants with a notice to vacate.
Officers of the Kenya Defense Forces were at the scene to coordinate rescue efforts. The building hosts a middle level college and small scale enterprises.
Source: Kenya News Agency