Police in Narok North Sub County are concerned over increased cases of defilement since the year began.
Area Deputy OCPD Mr. Charles Ouma said 41 new defilement and two rape cases have so far been reported in a year that is merely 20 days old.
“Some other 38 cases are pending in court while police were carrying out investigations on the other five with a view to bringing the culprits to book,” he said.
He was speaking Wednesday in his office where he called on parents to be vigilant on their children especially when they are reporting back to school as many girls were lured into premature sex by their friends when on their way to school.
“Parents should take the responsibility of escorting their children to school and ensure they are settled so that they do not flee,” he said.
Mr. Ouma appealed to the public to collaborate with the police by reporting suspicious persons to the authorities.
He blamed some parents for refusing to report defilement cases of their children due to ignorance and preferring to solve such cased within their communities.
Last week, Narok Senior Resident Magistrate Mr. Allan Sitati confirmed the judiciary will continue upholding justice and ensure the culprits of defilement are severely punished as per the law in a bid to reduce the vice in the area.
Sitati challenged the police to do thorough investigations on defilement cases without being compromised to ensure justice for the victims.
“Some suspects of defilement end up going scot-free because the police and prosecutors cannot produce sufficient evidence to prosecute the suspects,” he said.
“The law is clear that those found guilty of defiling minors below the age of 11 should be given a life sentence in jail,” he said.
By Ann Salaton/Abraham Tobiko
Source: Kenya News Agency