Data released on Monday morning by the Ministry of Transport has revealed that 600 trucks have been removed from the road following the launch of Standard Gauge Railway Cargo (SGRC) train in January this year.
The Transport Cabinet Secretary (CS), James Macharia said that the number of trucks removed from the roads was expected to go up to 1, 600 by November when 11 cargo trains would be fully operational.
The data released by the CS in Nairobi further states that over 30, 000 containers have been moved by the SGR while it has been operation for the past six months. The trucks will be diverted to other routes to avoid job losses, he said.
We won’t say people with trucks are disadvantaged because we are developing other routes like the Isiolo corridor heading to Ethiopia, Macharia said.
The cargo train was launched in January this year and has six trains operating between Mombasa and Nairobi daily.
The data further shows that 1.4 million passengers have been moved through the Madaraka express passengers’ service that was launched in June last year.
Source: Kenya News Agency