More than 200 sheep died on Sunday morning after drinking water from a contaminated well in Tiya village, Loima Sub County, Turkana County, amid fears that the number could rise because more deaths are still being reported.
The Turkwel Location Chief, Titus Nakuwa Koloi said that as at Monday morning 205 shoats had been confirmed dead.
The shoats drunk the water on Sunday at 8:00am and deaths started being reported at 9:30am, Koloi told KNA on Monday, adding that the loss affected some eleven households.
The borehole had been sunk by three families to address biting water shortage in the area, which made watering of the livestock to take many hours as animals waited for their turn.
The County Executive Committee Member for Water, Christopher Ajele and area MP, Jeremiah Lomurukai visited the village last night.
Samples of the water and body parts of the carcasses were taken to Lodwar to establish the cause of the death.
Unconfirmed reports indicate the animals could have been poisoned as their carcasses allegedly turned red, according to the chief.
In the meantime, the residents have been cautioned against using water from the affected borehole.
Source: Kenya News Agency