One dead, five admitted in suspected cholera outbreak

One person has died while five others were admitted at the Kipini Sub County Hospital in Tana River County following a suspected cholera outbreak.

Health and Kenya Red Cross officials told the Kenya News Agency Thursday that five people were admitted at the facility on Tuesday, one of whom died while undergoing treatment while another person was admitted on Wednesday evening.

Kenya Red Cross Manager in charge of Tana River and Kipini Counties Mr. Gerald Bombe said a team of KRC and medical personnel had been dispatched to the hospital to ascertain the cause of the severe diarrhea and vomiting cases.

“We have not yet confirmed whether it is cholera or another disease, but we are going there with doctors,” said Bombe on phone from Malindi.

County Health Director Oscar Endekwa confirmed that his office had received the report but said he would issue a comprehensive statement after doctors carried out laboratory tests on samples taken from the victims.

“We have dispatched a medical officer to supervise the exercise and we believe by evening today (Thursday), we shall have a comprehensive answer,” Dr. Endekwa said on phone.

By Emmanuel Masha