Learning at Kivaa Mixed Secondary School in Masinga Sub County has resumed after the government moved in to quell acrimony between the administration on one hand and students and the institution’s Board on the other.
The school had been closed for ten days last month after the more than 400 students staged a walkout alleging mismanagement of the institution by the principal.
The students had initially boycotted lessons before trekking for several kilometres to the Sub-county headquarters in Kaewa where they presented their grievances to the deputy county director of Education, Duncan Odhiambo.
They later visited the office of the area Deputy County Commissioner (DCC), Stephen Momanyi before returning back to their school.
Among the the grievances by the students was to have their school head transferred over allegations of high �handedness and mismanagement of school resources.
But Machakos TSC Director, David Mukui says initial investigations into the protests have unearthed the walkout was part of a well orchestrated scheme aimed to force the principal out of the school.
He said after holding several meetings involving the School Board, Ministry of Education officials and Kuppet representatives and students it emerged that some board members were behind the move to eject the school principal from the center.
After holding several meetings with all stakeholders affiliated to the school, it emerged that the members of the Board had all along been working round the clock to ensure the Principal was removed from the institution .In fact we discovered the ploy to kick him out office had began way back in 2016 after he was transferred to the institution to take over its management,said Mukui.
The TSC official has also revealed that many of the issues the students were raising were not genuine but had been crafted out by the board members who felt uncomfortable working with the principal due to some unknown reasons.
He nevertheless said learning is now taking place and investigations into some of the grievances the students raised and which appeared to have some merit are currently being looked into.
Mukui has also confirmed that the principal is back in office after both sides agreed to mend fences and in order to focus in preparing the students for both the end of year and KCSE Exams.
Meanwhile, the Principal of Kitili Secondary School in Mwala Sub County who was interdicted last month over allegations of having carnal knowledge of a female student will now know his fate after a TSC disciplinary probe team concludes its investigations.
The school head was interdicted on September 24 after the form four student reported that she had been sexually harassed by the suspect during a morning talk show in one of the local radio stations.
Mukui said once investigations confirm the suspect is culpable of the crime; the commission will institute necessary steps in terminating his service.
The new developments come as class eight and form four students prepare to sit for this year’s national exams.
This year’s Kenya Certificate of Primary Education tests will begin on October 30 and end on November 1.
On the other hand, Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examinations will be administered between November 2 and 28.
According to statistics from the Kenya National Examination Council, a total of 1.6 million candidates are expected to write this year’s Form Four and Standard Eight exams.
Source: Kenya News Agency