Man Electrocuted In Coconut Harvesting

A 43 years old man was on Thursday evening electrocuted in Likoni Sub- county of Mombasa while harvesting coconut from palm trees.

Mohamed Hamisi of Mrima area, Shikaadabu village, met his death while on top of a coconut tree, harvesting coconuts from a palm tree the shamba while it was raining.

According to an eye witness the victim was plucking coconuts when the branches of the tree got trapped by a high voltage power line overhead the tree.

Mwambao Nwagaruto, the owner of the palm trees said the deceased was his regular customer who used to buy coconut from him.

The deceased tried to call for help but unfortunately he died on top of the tree where he was trapped before people arrived.

The body of the late was retrieved from the palm tree by Police and Kenya Power workers using a crane and taken to Coast General Hospital mortuary before the body was released to relatives for burial in accordance to the customs of Islam.

Confirming the incident, Likoni Sub-County Commander, Jane Munywoki, said it was unfortunate the deceased has met his death through negligence and urged residents to be more cautious when cutting or tending trees where power cables pass, to avert such calamities.

However, residents are blaming the incident on laxity by Kenya power for letting power cables pass near tall trees.

The residents are now urging Kenya power to ensure live electric power lines which are hanging precariously overhead houses and trees should be tightened to avert looming death.

Source: Kenya News Agency