KENYAN DEFENCE FORCE FORMS TEAM TO PROBE SOMALIA ATTACK

By John Kioria

NAIROBI, The Kenya Defence Force (KDF) has set up a special team to look into last Friday’s attack on a KDF camp in El-Adde, Somalia, which left an unknown number of soldiers dead.

The team, which is already in El-Adde, will study the the exact circumstances surrounding the attack, including the possibility that top commanders at the facility could have ignored critical intelligence reports.

The Friday dawn attack on the KDF camp has been described as the most brazen and could be the second worst attack on the army since the October 23, 1983 Beirut attack where 241 American marines alongside 58 French paratroopers were killed in a bomb attack.

Somalia’s al-Shabaab insurgents used Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Devices with a single VBIED having a potential to cause damage similar to the one seen during the 1998 US Embassy bombing. Questions though abound on how the al-Shabaab militants could have launched such a daring attack without prior intelligence.

Chief of Defence Force General Samson Mwathethe says he has formed a board of inquiry to investigate the attack and compile data on casualties as well as investigate lapses in intelligence and operations.

According to Mwathethe, the KDF had yet to tally the number of fatalities and casualties as the rescue and recovery mission was still ongoing and would also highly rely on investigations by the Board of Inquiry.

On the fatalities from the attack, Mwathethe said his office had already communicated to affected families to provide DNA samples to help in the identification process

Source: KBC