By Manase Otsialo
A cholera outbreak has hit Mandera County with 35 cases being reported in the past one week.
The County Public Health Officer Sheikh Abukar however said there was no cause for alarm as they were ready to combat it.
“The first case of cholera was reported on March 1 involving a student from Moi Girls who showed signs while at school,” said Mr Abukar.
He said the student infected five of her relatives spreading the disease to three other villages in Mandera East Sub-County.
The Mandera County Referral Hospital received 18 new cases from the school Monday.
Two students were referred to the hospital from the school clinic on Sunday.
“We are currently treating 20 patients, 18 are students from a school where the situation is suspected to have started,” said Mr Abukar.
“We have three villages affected from the first reported case and currently we are carrying out public health campaigns in Bula Mpya, Bula Hamari, Shafshafey and Barwaqo,” said Mr Abukar.
TESTS CARRIED OUT
He said 35 tests had been carried out in Mandera Town but further tests were to be done from advanced laboratories to confirm the situation.
He said the epidemic is suspected to have spread from neighbouring counties.
“We have opened a cholera treatment centre at the referral hospital and urge all private medical centres to refer [to the hospital] any patient showing signs of cholera,” said Mr Abukar.
Moi Girls Secondary School Deputy Principal Mohamed Ibrahim told Nation that the situation at the school was under control after public health officers visited and inspected areas suspected to have been the source of the outbreak.
“Health officers have inspected our water sources, canteen, toilets, kitchen and other possible areas that might cause the disease and we are awaiting their report but the situation is under control,” said Mr Ibrahim.
The school has 720 students and is the only national girls’ school in the county.
Source: All Africa