A five-storey building has collapsed in Kariobangi South, Nairobi.
Initial reports indicate that no one has been injured in the incident as the building was unoccupied.
According to the Kenya Red Cross, tenants were evacuated from the building on Monday after it started shaking.
“No injuries or fatalities,” the Red Cross said on its Twitter page Tuesday.
Nairobi County Lands and Urban Planning Chief Officer Rose Muema said the building had been marked for demolition.
However, Kariobangi South MCA Robert Mbatia disputed claims the building had been evacuated and was marked for demolition.
He said the building was ready for occupation and had six tenants who had rented units in it last month.
Speaking by phone on Tuesday, Mr Mbatia said the block of flats had developed cracks on Monday, forcing the tenants to vacate.
“The building was not marked for demolition. It is a new building and tenants are just moving in,” said the MCA.
He claimed the apartment complex was built in a swampy area.
Last week Urban Planning Executive Christopher Khaemba told the Nation that the demolition of unsafe building stopped after an excavator the city was using developed mechanical problems that required S million to repair.
He said Nairobi County and the national government were to share the cost of repairing the excavator.
Two private companies that were assisting in the demolition pulled out, arguing that the work was too expensive for the county. That left only one excavator from the National Youth Service to do the job.
Source: The Nation.