KENYA ATTACK: 21 CONFIRMED DEAD IN DUSITD2 HOTEL SEIGE; 19 STILL MISSING

NAIROBI, At least 21 people were killed when Somali militants stormed a luxury hotel compound in Nairobi, Kenya’s government has confirmed.

Hundreds were forced to flee the bloodshed at the DusitD2 hotel and business complex on Tuesday.

Some 28 injured people have been admitted to hospital, and Kenya’s Red Cross said 19 are still missing.

Somalia-based group al-Shabaab said it was behind the attack, which triggered a 19-hour security operation.

President Uhuru Kenyatta said the siege ended with five attackers “eliminated”.

Kenya has been a target for al-Shabaab since October 2011, when it sent its army into Somalia to fight the militant group.

Mourners have now begun to bury the dead.

In a televised address, President Kenyatta said “every person that was involved in the funding, planning and execution of this heinous act” would be “relentlessly” pursued.

Al-Shabaab issued a statement calling the attack “a response” to US President Donald Trump’s decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

The move last year overturned decades of US foreign policy, and drew international criticism.

The attack began at about 15:00 local time on Tuesday. The gunmen threw bombs at vehicles in the car park before entering the lobby, where one blew himself up, police said.

The five-star DusitD2 hotel has 101 rooms. Located in the Westlands suburb, minutes from the capital’s business district, it has its own spa and several restaurants.

In September 2013, al-Shabaab gunmen entered the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi and targeted shoppers.

During an 80-hour siege at the upscale centre, 67 people were killed.

Two years later, the group carried out its deadliest ever assault in Kenya, shooting dead almost 150 people at Garissa University.

Source: NAM News Network