The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has issued a stern warning to the contestants in the forthcoming by election in Masongaleni ward against engaging in electoral malpractice.
Kibwezi East Returning Officer Mr. Titus Mutemi said those found flouting the electoral code of conduct would be disqualified and prosecuted according to the law.
Speaking on Friday during a briefing at Kambua Guest house in Kibwezi, Mutemi urged both voters and aspirants to maintain peace during the campaigns and the voting scheduled for February 12,2016.
“The aspirants and their supporters should shun violence and avoid other electoral irregularities that go against the electoral laws,” said the returning officer.
He disclosed that campaigns will commence on January 15 to February 10, 2016 and the aspirants should return their nomination papers on January 13 to 14 starting from 8 am at the IEBC offices in Kyumani.
“Campaigns have not yet started because we have not cleared any candidate, so we expect the aspirants to wait until the campaign period starts,” said Mutemi.
The seat, which was left vacant in September following the death of the Member of County Assembly (MCA) Mr. John Kilonzo, has so far attracted seven aspirants.
They include Ms. Florence Mutisya who is the widow of the late MCA vying on The Independent Party (TIP), Mr. Dominic Mutote (Muungano Party), Mr. Richard Munywoki (CCU), Mr. Japheth Kiilu (JAP) Mr. Charles Kioko (LPK) Mr. Philiph Nduva (Wiper) and Mr. Peter Munyae (NVP)
By Roselyne Kavoo