The government has put 125,629 vulnerable households in Nairobi Region on social protection via cash transfer to cushion them against the adverse effects of Covid-19.
The Nairobi Regional Commissioner (RC), Wilson Njega said 382,033 people have been identified and are currently receiving Sh.1000 stipends every week to help them cater for their daily subsistence.
Njega said the cash transfer is being undertaken alongside ongoing State social support programmes for vulnerable groups that include the disabled, orphans and the aged.
He said the cash assistance was previously benefiting about 21,000 people before the pandemic but addes the numbers have currently risen to 30,396.
“The government has continued to help the vulnerable in the society particularly, at this time of covid-19. The number of those being assisted was previously 21,000 but due to the pandemic it has risen to more than 30,000.
Njega hailed efforts made by various donors towards the Covid-19 emergency response, saying the assistance has gone a long way in alleviating sufferings of the many affected by the pandemic, some of whom have lost sources of income and have nothing to put on the table.
The RC further encouraged all well-wishers to forward their donations through the government laid down structures, including the National Government Administrative Centers (NGAC), to facilitate orderly and transparent distribution.
“To avoid stampede and possible injuries during the distribution process as has been witnessed in the past, all donations should be channeled through the government’s laid procedures,’ said Njega.
The RC was speaking on Thursday in his Boardroom at Nyayo House during a press briefing on security and Covid-19 situation in Nairobi.
Njega encouraged Nairobi residents to go for testing, saying this would help the government to put up adequate intervention measures.
He appealed to other leaders in the region to work closely with the government particularly in sensitizing the public about the seriousness of Covid-19.
“We are currently undertaking targeted testing in high risk areas with increased reported cases, this include Eastleigh, Kibra and sections of Embakasi.
The RC commended Muslim religious leaders for their continued advice to their faithful to offer prayers at home to avoid congregations and urged them to continue doing during Idd Ul-Fitr celebrations.
On the recent alleged evictions in Kariobangi and Ruai, Njega asked the media to always seek for clarifications from the relevant authorities so that the truth and facts can be laid bare.
He noted that the land cases had been resolved in the past and it was time for the Nairobi Water and Sewerage Company to go ahead with their project.
“We cannot do any eviction at this time of Covid-19 challenges; it would be inhuman, what I am seeing in the media, I do not understand because the eviction had been done long time ago after an eviction notice had been issued and the land reverted to the Nairobi, Water and Sewerage Company,” he said.
The Nairobi Police Commander, Phillip Ndolo assured the public that the police will continue to be vigilant particularly during the curfew period to curb any form of crime including house breaks.
The Police Boss refuted claims that some residential houses of those who have been taken to quarantine centres were broken into and continually targeted by criminals, and asked members of the public to volunteer information to security organs for action to be taken.
Source: Kenya News Agency