Government still holding Al Shabaab suspects

The government will continue holding eight suspected Al Shabaab militants arrested within Kotulo and Elwak areas in the ongoing operation by security officers.

North Eastern Regional Coordinator, Mohamud Saleh told KNA on phone on Monday that the eight were arrested in their hideouts and were currently being held in Mandera.

Noting the eight were in Kenya illegally, Saleh explained that the operation was sparked by rampant attacks by Al Shabaab on the Mandera-Wajir road.

“The operation currently going on in the area is yielding fruits. We believe the individuals are behind the attacks that have occurred along the road”, said Saleh, adding that some of them confessed to having been involved in some of the incidents.

“They have been very cooperative. They even took us to the hideout they used as their retreat base,” Saleh said, adding some of those arrested were ring leaders.

He said the operation being carried out at Kotulo in Wajir East and along the Somalia border would continue for the next two weeks.

“We have noticed the Al- Shabaab militants have changed their strategy of attacks. Our security apparatus have also changed tact to confront them head-on”, he said.

On December 27 last year, two officers were killed and one injured when Al Shabaab adherents ambushed them on the Lafey-Elwak road in Mandera County.

In the same month, an Al Shabaab member was killed when a bomb he was planting exploded on him while his four colleagues disappeared inside Somalia with shrapnel wounds.

By Dickson Githaiga