Frustrations as journalists denied covering election of speaker

Migori County Assembly security Monday blocked the media from accessing the building during the repeat election of the speaker.

County assembly sergeant at arms Andy Ondong Okeyo said the members of the press were not allowed to cover the repeat election of the speaker.

Okeyo told journalists he was under firm instructions not to allow the journalists into the assembly.

Media has been reportedly blamed for producing evidence that was used in Migori High court by the petitioner Kerario Marwa, against former speaker Boaz Okoth who is alleged to have been fraudulently elected.

The members of the press had gone to cover the election of the speaker after the court ordered last week that the election should be conducted under the supervision of the court registrar and the county assembly clerk.

Last week, Migori High Court ordered election of the speaker be held within seven days.

Both entrances to Migori County Assembly were under heavy security from as early as 7.a.m to deal with any security threats and breach during the repeat elections.

The first election of the speaker on 31st August 2017 was characterized with violence, when goons stormed the assembly plenary hall and disrupted the proceedings.

Kerario Marwa moved to court and filed the petition against Boaz Okoth who had been announced winner.

Unknown rowdy youths stormed county assembly and disrupted the election which resulted to disputed announcement of Boaz as the elected speaker.

Migori County Journalists forum chairman Manuel Odeny described the move to block journalists from covering the election of the speaker as ‘denying the public information of interest’.

Source: Kenya News Agency