Fire Destroys Dorms at Nambale Boys

Dormitories in Nambale Boys High School in Busia county caught fire on Tuesday night while students were in class for evening preps.

The students lost 20 mattresses in the 7.30pm blaze said to have been caused by an electric fault.

Speaking to the Star on the phone, deputy principal Arthur Aliwa said students heard an explosion from the dormitory, prompting them to rush out.

Aliwa said students and teachers put out the fire.

No one was injured.

Josephat Okello, a parent from Funyula, Samia subcounty, alerted the Star to the fire.

He appealed to the school management board to ensure the wiring is done by qualified electricians from the Kenya Power and Lighting Company to ensure safety.