Isiolo County Referral Hospital has controlled and discharged 14 out of 18 patients who were admitted there on Thursday with symptoms of suggestive cholera.
However, the health officials could not release four patients, two women and two children, from the isolation ward since they are yet to stabilize.
The deputy director of County Public Health Services Mr. Guracha Kikuyu Sarite said the victims who were admitted at the hospital were all from Kandebene area in Tigania East Sub-county of Meru County.
We are treating the cases as suggestive cholera but we have already sent specimens to public health laboratories in Nairobi and waiting for results to confirm the actual problem tomorrow, Mr. Sarite said.
He said 18 victims were farmers who had been camping in the area since the last rainy season and are suspected to have consumed contaminated water from the drying up seasonal dams following the wet season early December last year.
He added that they had been complaining of diarrhea, abdominal pains and vomiting but the 14 have responded to the treatment and were discharged today.
Mr. Sarite revealed that a team of health workers were sent to the affected area to educate the villagers on how to stay safe from contracting the water borne diseases as they give them drugs.
He urged residents of the neighbouring Isiolo and Meru counties to be extra careful on the water and food they consume calling upon them to boil the food and water adequately.
He asked them to seek immediate medical attention whenever they experience suspicious ailments to avoid loss of lives when such a problem complicates.
The health official said the hospital was experiencing shortage of disease testing kits and had to seek help from the partners like the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) and Kenya Red Cross Society among others.
Source: Kenya News Agency