Drama as the body is returned to morgue

Drama unfolded at a funeral ceremony at Kimbimbi village, Kirinyaga County on Wednesday after mourners insisted that a minor must sign the burial permit for his late father.

The ceremony had to be stopped after the residents ordered the body of Nicholas Muriuki 29, be returned to a morgue in Kutus town as they looked for the six year old son.

Before the hearse headed for the morgue, the area Chief, Immaculate Njoka had to bring in some armed policemen to restore order after the mourners became rowdy insisting that deceased’s sister who had signed the burial permit had no right to do so.

There is no way a married woman can come and sign the burial permit for Muriuki while his son is alive. The body must be taken back to the mortuary until we trace the whereabouts of the minor, shouted Jane Muthoni a resident.

The mourners claimed the minor would be disinherited if someone else signed his father’s burial permit hence the drama.

The boy, who schools at a nearby primary school, was nowhere to be found as his estranged mother had allegedly kept him in hiding at the Red Soil village.

After the boy was traced at about 4.30 pm, he was rushed to the mortuary where the attendants demanded the aunt who had signed the document earlier on should also be present,” said the Chief.

Later, the mortuary the attendants were able to have his thumb print impression on the document since he could not be able to sign.

More drama unfolded after five other women turned up and insisted they should be involved in the ceremony some carrying small children on their backs.

The deceased, who was a butchery attendant at the nearby Kimbimbi market, was crushed to death on May 11 while riding a motorbike at Murubara section of the Embu-Mwea road by a speeding miraa transporting vehicle.

He was said to have separated from his first wife with whom he sired the minor who was now to sign the burial permit.

According to the chief, the alleged concubines were said to have been attracted by the sales from portions of the large family land the deceased has been selling.

Muriuki’s remains were finally laid to rest shortly after 5.30 pm with police keeping a watch to the end.

Source: Kenya News Agency