The Nairobi Governor, Mike Sonko can breathe easy after the Director of Public Prosecution asked the court to withdraw assault case facing him as the complainant, the Coast Regional Police boss, Rashid Yatani, is no longer interested in pursuing the matter.
Before the Senior Resident Magistrate, Fredrick Nyakundi in Voi on Tuesday where Sonko was arraigned to face assault charges, the prosecution said the complainant wanted to pull out of the case.
The governor was accompanied by his lawyers led by Cecil Miller and George Kithi. Cecil Miller, his lead lawyer, said the accused had no objection to the withdrawal of the case.
We have no objection to the complainant decision to withdraw the case, said the lawyer.
Sonko was accompanied by dozens of his supporters, a number of Members of County Assembly from Nairobi County and former MP, Kalembe Ndile. Security around the courtroom was tight as armed police officers kept watch within the court.
The ruling for the withdrawal request by prosecution will be delivered on Wednesday.
Sonko’s arrival animated Voi town as his huge convoy snaked in the streets before heading to the court precincts. There was a tense exchange earlier on after Kalembe Ndile demanded to be allowed to drive past a roadblock to court precincts with the police declining the request.
He was asked to alight and walk to the courtroom with police citing little available space.
Sonko was charged with assaulting a police officer during his arrest on 7th December while on the run after arrest warrant against him was issued by DPP over graft allegations. He was also charged with use of foul language and resisting arrest.
The decision to withdraw the case means the besieged governor can now marshal his resources to fight corrupt allegations levelled against him by Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
Source: Kenya News Agency