By: JULIUS OTIENO
CITY Hall moved to court to stop the Sh2.5 billion compensation for the 168 acres acquired for the standard gauge railway project in Embakasi, Nairobi, because fraudsters had claimed the ownership of the land.
Governor Evans Kidero said the county wants the rightful owner(s) of the property known before the money is paid.
“We went to court to ensure the right people are compensated and justice is done. We don’t want conmen and fraudsters to benefit at the expense of genuine occupants,” he said.
Kidero said the occupants of the land were resettled there by the defunct Nairobi City Council and it is prudent for the National Land Commission to involve the county government in identifying occupants to be compensated.
On Thursday last week, the county sued the NLC, the Kenya Railways Corporation, the Chief Land Registrar and the Attorney General over the alleged fraudulent compensation plan.
Through lawyer Titus Koceyo, City Hall sought to stop the pay out of Sh2.5 billion for the land, saying some of the beneficiaries are fraudsters.
Kidero was addressing more than 100 members of the Darfur Dupoto settlement scheme, who were protesting that he case would lock them out of compensation.
They claimed that the case is likely to deny them the money because they have been mistaken for fraudsters who moved to the area recently.
The residnets said they had lived on the disputed land since birth and do not understand why they should be denied compensation.