Court stops removal of Embu deputy speaker

By: REUBEN GITHINJI

Embu deputy speaker Ibrahim Swaleh got a reprieve as his removal over abuse of office has been stopped.

The High Court in Embu last week gave the assembly the go-ahead to debate a motion to sack him.

But Embu resident judge Florence Muchemi yesterday gave Swaleh stay orders after he filed a case at the Court of Appeal in Nyeri.

The case will be mentioned on November 11.

The motion was tabled by Mavuria MCA Joseph Mwaniki in March.

He accused Swaleh of incompetence and abuse of office.

Mwaniki said on February 11, Swaleh called for division of the House without a quorum.

He said the same day, Swaleh ordered the confiscation of mobile phones for members of the public and assembly staff.