Child dies in fire tragedy

A five year old boy was burnt beyond recognition in a fire tragedy that hit his village of Nduga, in Lambwe West location of Suba North constituency in Homa Bay County.

Richard Ogongo met his untimely death on Tuesday when their house caught fire at around 8am after his mother left him alone in the house to wash their clothes at a nearby water pan.

Area Chief, Daniel Obure said the fire was noticed by the neighbours who were passing by and their efforts to rescue the child who is a pupil at Bedie ECDE centre proved futile.

Obure said the child burnt beyond recognition and nothing was salvaged in the house.

He added that the fire might have been caused by a gas cooker which exploded in the house, after the child attempted to light it.

The body of the deceased was removed to Homa-Bay County referral hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

Source: Kenya News Agency