Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui has cautioned business owners flouting prevention measures for Covid-19 saying culprits will not only lose their operation licenses but will also be prosecuted.
Governor Kinyanjui said the County Government had already revoked licenses of two entertainment spots that were busted contravening Covid-19 prevention protocols over the weekend.
The Governor said the two joints were found to be operating beyond stipulated hours and were not observing Covid-19 prevention measures thereby endangering lives of citizens for profit.
The two entertainment joints had reportedly packed more than 500 revelers in their halls and failed to observe control measures as laid down by the department of public health.
Kinyanjui who spoke in his office against a disquieting backdrop of a spike in new infections of Covid-19 in Nakuru town in recent days, said that the County Government, in consultation with the National Government, will institute stiffer control measures to curb infections.
He said the new containment measures to be made public on Thursday this week will adversely affect hotels and bars in the town whose Covid-19 case load has been on an upward trajectory.
“We believe the current national containment measures are good but not sufficient for our locality given the trends that we have already observed,” he stated.
Last Thursday,68 KCSE candidates at Bahati Girls Secondary in Nakuru tested positive for corona virus, with one admitted at the Nakuru Level Five Hospital.
Nakuru Health executive Gichuki Kariuki said five teachers at the school also tested positive and have been kept in isolation alongside the 67 students.
A female student at Kabarak High School was also admitted at a private hospital in Nakuru after she tested positive for the deadly virus.
The governor noted that the Covid-19 threat was moving away from high traffic areas such as Naivasha, Gilgil and Nakuru towns to rural areas such as Kuresoi South, Njoro and Subukia sub-Counties.
Source: Kenya News Agency