99 Chiefs, Assistants Sacked in War Against Illicit Alcohol – Nkaissery

Ninety nine chiefs and assistant chiefs have been dismissed, and drastic action taken against 15 police officers in the war against illicit liquor, Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery has said.

The 15 officers include five OCPDs and seven OCSs, Nkaissery said in a statement to newsrooms on Tuesday.

He said IG Joseph Boinett has advised the National Police Service Commission to pursue the cases against the police officers to completion.

“Some of these officers have become addicted while others have been found drunk while on duty instead of being at the forefront of implementing the presidents directive,” he said.

Nkaissery said more than 15 million litres of second generation alcohol have been destroyed since the crackdown began two weeks ago.

He said it includes 686,000 litres of Kangara, 577,000 litres of busaa, 70,000 of chang’aa, 20,000 of ethanol and 30,000 litres of methanol.

Other results of the campaign were the destruction of 448 illegal drinking dens, closure of 542 illegal barsm he said,

He said 54 sachets of heroine and cocaine, and 2500 rolls of bhang and other forms of narcotic drugs were also seized.

He added that the prosecution of about 20,000 suspects who were arrested during the operation is ongoing.

Nkaissery said the government is aware that some individuals are hiding consignments of illicit alcohol.

“This is most prevalent in Naivasha, Nakuru, Ongata Rongai, Kitengela and Thika. If you are one of these voluntarily destroy the illicit brew or face the full force of the law,” he said.

He warned those dealing with production and distribution of narcotics, and sale of fake goods, that the next phase will target them.

Nkaissery last week warned that county commissioners and police bosses found taking bribes to permit the sale of the alcohol will not be spared.

“We have information that some chiefs, police officers, KRA and KEBs officials are working with the producers of these brews. Action will be taken against them,” he said.

“I am not here to please you. We must eradicate these brews. Those found doing the business will have to go home.”

He visited factories burned down during the operation and addressed administrators, including chiefs, assistant chiefs and deputy commissioners, in Naivasha and Nyeri towns on Monday.

The crackdown on illegal brews will continue countrywide without bias, he said.