300 hired from March in Embu could lose jobs

By: REUBEN GITHINJI

About 300 Embu workers employed after the county Public Service boards chairman was interdicted by Governor Martin Wambora are in danger of losing their jobs.

The comes after the Employment and Labour Relations Court in Nyeri declared board chairman Mundia Gateria and secretary John Nyagah were illegally dismissed.

They were sacked by Governor Martin Wambora in March.

The court ruled that all decisions, actions and proceedings of the Embu County Public Service Board made after March, during the interdiction of Gateria, are null and void.

Wambora interdicted the pair over alleged incompetence, non-performance, absenteeism, violation of the constitution and gross misconduct.

He replaced them with Sicily Wanja and Ruth Njoki as chairperson and secretary, respectively.

Gateria sued the governor and the county before Justice Byram Ongaya and the court on November 20 ordered he be reinstated.

The court ordered the Embu government to pay Gateria Sh2 million by Tuesday.

Wambora was ordered to pay Gateria Sh5 million by January 1 for violating his rights.

The judge further ruled all transactions of the board during the absence of Mundia and Nyagah are illegal.

During the absence of Gateria and Nyagah, more than 300 staff were hired.

They include 60 county executive employees who had been fired due to irregular recruitment and over 250 new county employees, including ward administrators, nurses and office personnel.

Justice Ongaya said the governor and the county violated the constitution when they sacked Gateria and Nyagah.

The judge said Wambora and his administration had no power to subject Gateria to disciplinary action or to interdict him as PSB chairman.