10 killed, 30 others injured in grisly road accident along Garissa Mwingi road

Some 10 people were Monday night killed and 30 others injured when a Nairobi bound bus collided head-on with a lorry at Bulto Banta, near Bangale along the Garissa � Mwingi highway.

According to an eyewitness account, the lorry was on the wrong side of the road because a company repairing the section of the road had closed its rightful lane.

The 60 seater bus rammed into the lorry that was ferrying building materials to Garissa. The driver of the lorry and his turn boy were among those who perished.

A mother who was among the five people who sustained serious limb, head and body tissue injuries lost three of her children aged 7, 4 and 8 months. The actual number of passengers could not be immediately established.

Both the lorry and the bus were extensively damaged in the 1.00am incident.

The injured were rushed to the Garissa Referral Hospital where they were stabilized and referred to various private hospitals within the town. The bodies were removed to the hospital’s morgue.

Addressing the press at the hospital casualty, Garissa County Referral Hospital Nursing Officer-in-charge, Hassan Mohamed said that they received 10 bodies that included 5 adults and 5 children.

Hassan said that the hospital was not admitting any patients because the wards had been closed following the nurses’ strike.

As you are aware, due to the ongoing nurses’ strike, all the wards are closed down. Our clinical officers and doctors stabilized the patients and allowed their relatives to transfer them to private hospitals of their choice, Hassan said.

We have referred all the 5 critically injured to Kenyatta National Hospital for specialized treatment, he added.

Good Samaritans in conjunction with bus company crew had to pull back the bus that was stuck to the lorry front to access the trapped bodies.

The scene was littered with broken glasses, personal belongings and blood stains, an indication of the impact of the collision.

Relatives jammed the referral hospital on receiving the news of the accident and police had to be called in to control the surging crowd.

Source: Kenya News Agency