Refresh your palate by consuming plenty of fresh vegetables. Vegetables and salads should not just be confined to side dishes; they should meals on their own occasionally.
Try this wonderfully exotic salad made from locally available ingredients.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
1 ripe avocado, sliced
¼-kg French beans
300 grams mixed leaves (lettuce, watercress, red cabbage, baby spinach)
4 ripe tomatoes, wedged
1 red pili pili hoho, sliced
1 tbsp fresh dhania, chopped (optional)
1. Slice avocado and place in salad bowl. Boil the French beans until tender and then place in cold water for a few minutes.
2. Arrange the mixed salad leaves on the platter with the avocados. Top with beans, tomatoes, tuna, and capsicum.
3. Sprinkle the chopped dhania (if using) on the salad and add olives. Serve with a vinaigrette salad dressing.
• To achieve a Meditterrean flavour, you may use oregano herb as an alternative to dhania
• Cut French beans at the top and tail and then remove the fibrous string on each side prior to boiling to help it cook faster.
• Always ensure that you use baby spinach in raw salads to ensure the taste is not bitter.