Sudanese peace talks suspended for the 10th time

The peace talks between the Sudanese government and the rebels in Addis Ababa have been suspended for the 10th time, the African Union mediation said.
Nine rounds of talks have failed to achieve any breakthrough in stopping the civil war in Sudan. The AU mediation said in a press release on Monday that the negotiations had been suspended until December 7 as the both sides asked for more consultations.
The African Union High Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP), headed by the former South African President Thabo Mbeki, has also revealed that it had extended invitations to the rivals to attend the preparatory meeting of the national dialogue on December 7.
Some progress
It has further stated the latest talks had made some progress, adding that the rivals managed to narrow the gap between them.
”The African Union has decided to suspend the talks of the two track of Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions until 7th December to enable the rivals to make some consultation as they requested,” AUHIP disclosed.
After the suspension of the talks, both sides traded accusations of irresponsibility and intentional undermining of the negotiations.
The battlefields
In statement seen by the Africa Review, the government delegation accused the SPLM-N of political blackmail.
The government has insisted on the importance of a comprehensive ceasefire at all the battlefields in Sudan, adding that the SPLM-N was seeking to sign a partial peace deal.
However the SPLM-N chief negotiator, Mr Yassir Arman, accused the government of intentionally obstructing the negotiations by presenting impossible conditions, adding that they were not willing to accept an equivalent dialogue to solve the crisis.

SOURCE: AFRICA REVIEW