Paralysed Busia children transferred to Nairobi


The 28 paralysed children from Teso in Busia County were on Thursday transferred to Nairobi for treatment.

Accompanied by their parents, the children left at 5pm aboard buses flagged off by county health secretary Maurice Simiyu.

Two specialists also travelled with the children from Kakapel in of Teso North whose plight was exclusively revealed by the Daily Nation two weeks ago.

Health Cabinet Secretary James Macharia on Tuesday said that Nairobi Hospital had accepted to offer them specialised treatment.

The hospital had agreed to treat the children who were paralysed following injection at the Akichelesit dispensary in Teso.

The jovial parents welcomed the decision by the national government saying they had lost hope in local hospitals which they said had failed to assist them.

“We are grateful to the government for the help. Most of us have been shaken and spent sleepless nights not knowing what will befall our children,” said Ms Vivian Asere.

Dr Simiyu said the County will settle the transport cost.

“As a County we have followed the Cabinet Secretary’s directive and we are happy we are finally sending the team to Nairobi so as our colleagues from there can also look at the case, and to also kill the notion that we could have been hiding something,” he said.


The 30 children developed weak limbs last week after an injection at the local dispensary.

Most of the children could barely walk on their weak limbs while others had wounds oozing with pus. The elder children could only walk with the aid of walking sticks.

In some cases, the parents claimed the children’s feet started rotting away. The parents had stormed Governor Sospeter Ojaamong’s office to demand action on the hospital and those responsible.

“We are very happy that finally our children are going to get specialised treatment which we have been longing for,” said Mr Chrispus Osia whose daughter developed weak limbs after the injection.

Dr Simiyu said those not found to be in a serious condition will be returned for treatment at the dispensary which, now, has a new set of medical officers.

“The cause of the paralysis had not been found and I am asking parents to be patient as the World Health Organisation conducts investigations,” Dr Simiyu said.