Narok County forms team to deal with El Nino emergencies

By: GEORGE SAYAGIE

Narok County has announced the formation of a new team to deal with El Nino emergencies. County Governor Samuel ole Tunai said the decision had been informed by the increased number of deaths related to the heavy rains.

The decision came as panic gripped Narok Town on Wednesday evening following flooding caused by heavy rains, which paralysed transport along the Narok-Mai Mahiu road for more than three hours.

The rains started at around 4pm and flood waters submerged market stalls and kiosks, forcing traders near the main bus terminus out of their businesses.

Although the town’s drainage system had been cleared, it was filled with rain water, which threatened to spill over to buildings adjacent to the waterways.

No damage or loss of life was reported following the Wednesday evening downpour.

Earlier in the day, the governor said the county government was concerned about the dangers posed by the rains, with the number of people killed by the floods and related consequences rising to 10 in November.

In the latest incident, a family of five was buried alive by a mudslide as they slept in their house in Enenkishomi, Oloshapani Location, Narok South Sub-County, on Monday night.

Another five people were killed in different incidents in Narok South.

Earlier this month, two children and a middle-aged man were killed by floods in Talek in Narok South.

SOURCE: DAILY NATION