Five killed in Kenya’s mudslide tragedy

A family of five died after their house was buried following a mudslide in Enenkishomi in south-western Kenya’s Narok County.
The Monday night incident happened as the victims slept in the family’s hut.
The area has been receiving heavy rains that have led to mudslides.
Minor incidents
The victims, aged between four and 23 years, were asleep in their grass-thatched house when they were buried alive in the 1am (+3GMT) incident.
Local Chief John Seur said the area had been experiencing minor incidents of mudslides from the time the rains started.
He said locals, together with police, managed to retrieve the bodies of the five, which were moved to the Narok County Referral Hospital mortuary.
Security team
The administrator said two of the boys, aged eight and 13, were sleeping in the house of their elder brother, aged 23, with his two daughters, aged one and four.
He appealed to residents to move to higher ground to avoid more disaster.
Narok County Governor Samuel ole Tunai led a security team to condole relatives of the victims and promised the government would help the affected families.
“We are appealing to people in this area to move to higher ground as the government seek ways to assist them till the rains subside,” said Mr Tunai.

SOURCE: AFRICA REVIEW