By: MWAKERA MWAJEFA
Officials from the Mombasa Catholic Archdiocese will Monday meet the county security team to discuss arrangements for travel to Nairobi for the Papal Mass.
A large convoy from the archdiocese is expected to leave on Tuesday to attend Pope Francis’ Mass at the University of Nairobi grounds on Thursday.
Each of the 52 parishes drawn from Taita-Taveta, Kwale, Mombasa and part of Kilifi County is expected to make their own arrangements, to be coordinated by the vicar-general, Father Wilybard Lagho.
In a telephone interview, Fr Lagho said they could not divulge details of how the faithful would travel for security reasons.
“Everything is ready and what we are waiting for is the meeting with the Mombasa County security team for their contributions,” he said.
The Malindi Diocese, which comprises Tana River and Lamu counties, is also expected to liaise with the Mombasa Diocese on the travel arrangements so that they travel as one convoy.
Sources told the Daily Nation that most of the secondary schools with buses had been approached to ferry the hundreds of thousands of Catholics registered in their parishes for the journey.
“Fears have been raised over the gridlock at the Taru section of the Mombasa-Nairobi highway but we have been assured that there will be smooth movement of traffic on the crucial link,” said Fr Lagho.
Those expected at Monday’s security meeting with the archdiocese officials are County Commissioner Nelson Marwa, Coast regional police boss Francis Wanjohi and regional traffic boss Martin Kariuki.
Fr Marcellus Okelo Sunday asked Catholics to pray for the Pope over his visit to the country. He made the call at the Holy Ghost Cathedral.
SOURCE: DAILY NATION