Cameroon football legend takes stand against Boko Haram

Former Cameroon football star Samuel Eto’o has begun raising money and awareness to support victims of the Boko Haram insurgency in Cameroon and Nigeria.
The former national team captain has set up the Yellow Whistleblower FC foundation to raise funds that will help victims of the jihadists in the Far North Cameroon region as well as close to 50,000 Nigerian nationals who have fled their country and are seeking refuge in that province of Cameroon.
Eto’o’s fundation, in conjunction with Oxfam and the UNHCR – The United Nations’ refugee agency – hosted the first charity Yellow Whistle Ball in London on Tuesday night.
The 34-year-old football legend has so far raised through his foundation over $75,000 to support displaced victims of Boko Haram activities. The money will go to refugee camps in Nigeria and Cameroon, and to non-governmental organisations working in the field to help those displaced.
More than 1.5 million people have fled their homes in Nigeria as a result of the crisis posed by the jihadist group. And the four-time African football player of the year described it as “a humanitarian crisis of unbearable magnitude.”
“This is a crisis that doesn’t only affect my country, Cameroon. It’s something that is affecting the whole region and many other countries around the world.
“The fact is that it is a big problem, which isn’t being talked about enough but is causing huge pain and damage,” Eto’o told invitees at the Yellow Whistle Ball event in London.
“We need to cope with this situation. We need to denounce it and find solutions at our level while our armed forces do their job on the ground,” Eto’o told CNN.

SOURCE: AFRICA REVIEW