Brave guard who foiled theft killed


A daring guard who thwarted a robbery bid was shot dead by gunmen at Parklands on Wednesday night.

Mr James Mulei Nzivo, 55, was an employee of Northwood Security Limited. He was guarding a residence on 1st Avenue Parklands when he saw a gang of three men robbing students at the gate of a hostel.

A scuffle ensued and the guard, armed with only a baton, and unaware the robbers had a gun, crossed the road to rescue the students.

As he pinned one to the ground, the accomplice drew a pistol and shot the guard in the chest. He was taken to Avenue Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Gigiri police boss Vitalis Otieno said two female students had been dropped by their male colleagues at the gate of Executive Ladies hostel, opposite the residence Nzivo was guarding.

He said they had parked their car at the gate and as they were leaving at 8.30pm, three men on a motorbike accosted the students and attempted to rob them when Mr Nzivo confronted them.

They shot him and then rode off on the motorcycle. None of the victims took the registration number of the bike.

According to police, the gang fled without the stolen items.


The gang then went to Forest Road where they robbed a female motorist outside Narayan Temple.

Outside the hostel gate in Parklands, police found one spent cartridge, which was taken for ballistic examination.

According to Mr Nzivo’s colleague, a day guard Sammy Wanjala, Mr Nzivo reported for duty at 5pm.

“He was unusually punctual that day. We had agreed that I would also relieve him very early in the morning,” Mr Wanjala said.

Ms Grace Ngina who has worked at the residence as a driver for 10 years said Mr Nzivo was always concerned about her safety whenever she left work late.

“He would ensure that I was safe whenever I left work after 8pm since the bus stop is about 150 metres away. We have lost a good man,” she told Nation.

Mr Nzivo trained as a mason and a carpenter, according to his younger brother Jonathan Muthama Nzivo.

“He did guard duties at night but worked at construction sites in Parklands during the day,” he said.

His colleagues said he was very social. Some of Mr Nzivo’s relatives said he was completely engrossed in his work.