Another woman dies at Kakamega hospital


A new mother has died at the Kakamega County Referral Hospital, just two weeks after an expectant woman lost her life after she was allegedly neglected by staff.

Relatives of Elizabeth Akala are accusing doctors of neglecting her. She complained of severe abdominal pains when she was admitted after the baby she was carrying reportedly died before delivery. Doctors were expected to induce labour to save her life.

And yesterday, Abbigael Ng’asia’s 12-hour wait for medical attention ended in death. She has left behind a two-week old baby.

Her husband, Wellington Chibole, said his wife was to be treated for a suspected infection.

She had delivered her baby boy at the same hospital through a Caesarean section.

Mr Chibole, 25, said his wife developed complications after she was discharged on Monday last week.

The baby was the first born for the deceased, a second year student at Masinde Muliro University.

Mr Chibole, also a student at the same university, said he rushed her back to the hospital on Sunday at 2pm after she complained of breathing problems and pain.

“On arrival, a clinician said my wife needed to undergo haemoglobin tests but the machine was faulty,” he said.

He said he was told to have the tests done at a private hospital. He took her for the tests and when they came with the results, his wife was admitted to Ward 8. Doctors at the county hospital were to treat her based on the results.

“However, no one attended to her, even as she complained of pain,” said Mr Chibole, who spoke outside the hospital.

“All she was given were some pain killers and she sadly passed on at 2.40am,” said Mr Chibole from Shisenye village in Isongo, Mumias East Constituency.

“If doctors had attended to my wife without delay, they could have saved her life,” he lamented.

He added: “I’m saddened by the death of my wife and now my son will have to grow up without a mother.”

Mr Chibole said he did not understand why doctors gave his wife pain killers yet he had already bought some drugs for her treatment.

The hospital’s medical superintendent Augustine Ajevi said investigations into the circumstances surrounding the patient’s death had been launched.

“After investigations, we will release a full report on what happened,” said Dr Ajevi.

Last week, governor Wycliffe Oparanya appointed a seven- man committee to investigate the death of the 36-year-old Akala who died at the same hospital.

Her husband, Mr Zacharia Ludenyo, said nurses and doctors in the labour ward signed off from duty even as his wife lay writhing in pain and only returned the next day, when she was dying.

The committee headed by Dr Kubasu Wekesa was expected to hand in its report to Mr Oparanya within seven days which have since elapsed.