Al Jazeera network furious at Egypt verdict delay

The Al Jazeera Media Network has expressed outrage at postponement of the verdict in the retrial of its journalists by an Egyptian court.
A court in Cairo Thursday put on hold the verdict on Australian Peter Greste, Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian Baher Mohamed, who were jailed last year for “spreading false news”.
The trio allegedly committed the crime during their coverage of the turmoil in Egypt after the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsy in 2013.
“We are outraged that the verdict has been adjourned as today was meant to be the final court hearing for our colleagues,” the Al Jazeera Media Network’s Acting Director General, Dr Mostefa Souag, said in a press release circulated online.
“We, along with others, expected a swift end to the ordeal for Baher Mohamed, Mohamed Fahmy, and Peter Greste,” added Dr Souag.
Rights groups
Greste, who has since been deported, and Fahmy received seven years in the initial trial, while Mohamed was jailed for 10 years.
“All three men have been under immense stress and pressure for the past nineteen months and delaying the final verdict has just continued the strain on them and their families.
“We demand the Egyptian authorities bring an end to the charges against Baher, Peter and Mohamed which should be dropped immediately,” said the Al Jazeera statement.
Thursday’s session had been keenly awaited by rights groups and families of the defendants.