By: KIPKORIR RONO
At least 30 people were Saturday admitted to Olenguruone Sub County Hospital in Nakuru after taking contaminated milk.
The 30, who included men, women and children, took the milk on Thursday afternoon during preparations for a circumcision ceremony that took place later that evening at Lelaitich Village in Olenguruone Division.
The organiser of the ceremony, who is one of the victims, Pastor Andrew Koske, said he started having stomach pains and a headache as he vomited and decided to visit the hospital thinking he had malaria.
“I felt unwell on Thursday night and thought it was malaria only to be diagnosed with food poisoning,” he said after his admission.
Several other victims who had taken the same milk were also admitted at the same hospital.
Mr Koske said he bought the milk in Olenguruone Town from a vendor believed to have come from Bomet County.
The medical officer in-charge of Olenguruone Sub County Hospital Mr Stanley Koech, who confirmed the admissions, said that the victims suffered food poisoning from the milk they had taken but were getting better.
Eight had been discharged by Saturday evening.
“We admitted about 30 victims yesterday with a similar problem but so far we have discharged eight of them and the rest are recuperating,” the officer said.
He warned against consumption of foodstuff that has not been inspected especially milk from vendors who are out to make quick money regardless of food safety.
“People should desist from taking uninspected food, not milk alone, and should be advised to buy such stuff from specified dealers so as to avoid such mess, “he warned.
He also urged members of the community who are busy engaging in various ceremonies to mind their health as they conduct their activities.
SOURCE: DAILY NATION