Mrs. Ruto Call for a ‘brotherhood spirit’

Deputy President William Ruto's wife Mrs. Rachael Ruto Friday called on Narok residents to embrace a spirit of brotherhood during this campaign season in a bid to promote peace in the area.

Speaking at Narok Stadium during a prayer meeting organised by Narok Pastors Fellowship, Mrs. Ruto said leaders come and go but Kenya will remain forever hence the reason to tolerate one another.

Campaigns are good because they help people choose the best leaders, but I want to remind you even after elections, life will go on hence the need to live in unity, she said.

Mrs. Ruto appreciated the fact that the county was cosmopolitan saying God had put different tribes in the area so that we can learn from each other.

Let elections not divide us along our tribal or clan backgrounds as there is too much that God has put in us that we can share and build our county, she said.

Narok County Governor Samuel Tunai's wife Mrs. Sarah Tunai who accompanied her challenged all residents regardless of their religion to pray for the county for a peaceful election.

Leadership is from God, we pray that He will directs us to choose the best leaders who will unite all the residents living in this county, said Mrs. Tunai.

She asked Christians to be ambassadors of peace in their respective working places and homes so that no one will be threatened during and after the campaign season.

According to Narok County Statistics Abstract 2015, the county has a population of 1, 003, 672 people with 60 percent being Maasai, while the Kipsigis, Kikuyu and Kisii share the remaining 40 percent.

The clans that dominate the county are Purko, Loita, Ildamat, Keenyoki, Siria, Moitanik, Uasin Gishu and Kipsigis.

Most of the politicians vying for the county seats are from the majority Purko community.

Early this week, Narok County Commissioner Moffat Kangi warned residents to shun politicians who divide them on the basis of their tribes and background.

He said several incidents of fracas reported in the area were caused by politicians inciting innocent residents who later fought each other.

Kangi reminded politicians that it was illegal to hold any meeting without informing the police on the time, date and agenda of the meeting in advance.

Source: Kenya News Agency