Six people were killed in an attack in northeast Kenya on Thursday by suspected militants from the Somali group al Shabaab, the regional governor and Kenyan media reported.
The governor of Mandera county where the attack took place, Ali Roba, said that six people had been confirmed killed, confirming his comments made on Twitter.
Kenya’s Daily Nation said on its website that the attack, which it blamed on al Shabaab, occurred early in the morning.
The heavily armed attackers raided a residential plot in Bulla public works, Mandera Town while the tenants were asleep.
The militants were reportedly targeting non locals but intervention by security officers saved 25 others.
Ali Roba said one person had also been seriously injured in the dawn attack.
Attackers used a grenade to break in and then shot at those inside, he said, citing police.
“From the nature and style of the attack, it will obviously be al-Shabab,” Governor Roba said.
“If not for the quick response by our security forces, we would be talking of many more casualties now.”
Al-Shabab is battling the UN-backed government in Somalia, and has carried out a string of attacks in neighbouring Kenya.
Militants have carried out frequent attacks on the Mandera region, which borders Somalia.
They target people who are not from the local area and security forces.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK