The IGAD Council of Ministers held its 57thExtra-Ordinary session on 2nd July, 2017 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, under the Chairmanship of H.E. Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and current Chairperson of the IGAD Council of Ministers, to discuss ways and means of expeditingthe preparation of the High Level Revitalization Forum of all parties to the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (ARCSS) including estranged groups.
The Session was attended by H.E. Mahamoud Ali Youssouf, Minister of Foreign Affairs and international Cooperation of the Republic of Djibouti, H.E Amb. Catherine Mwangi, representing the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kenya, H.E Yusuf Garaad Omar, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Somalia; H.E. H.E. Dr. Martin Elia Lomuro, The Minister of Cabinet Affairs, representing the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of South Sudan; H.E. Ibrahim Ahmed Ghandour, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Sudan. H.E Sam Kutesa, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uganda.
The Session was also attended by H.E Festus Mogae, Former President of Botswana and Chairperson of JMEC and Amb. Tewolde Gebremeskel, Peace and Security Director of IGAD representing the Executive Secretary of IGAD and Amb. Ismail Wais the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan.
The Council of Ministers of IGAD:
1. Recalls the Communique of the 31stIGADAssembly of Heads of State and Government meeting held in Addis Ababa on 12th June, 2017, and the recommendation made thereofmandating the Council to convene and facilitate a High-Level Revitalization Forum of the parties to the ARCSS including estranged
groups to discuss concrete measures, to restore permanent ceasefire, to realize full implementation of the Peace Agreement and to develop a revised and realistic timeline and implementation schedule towards a democratic election at the end of the transition period in collaboration with relevant stakeholders;
2. Takes note of the statementof the Chairperson of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)H.E Festus Gontebanye Mogaeand his recommendations on how to conduct the revitalization process;
3. Approves the Guideline for the IGAD Council of Ministers Pursuant to the decisions of the 31st Extra-Ordinary Summit of IGAD and the accompanying Indicative Implementation Matrix of the High-Level Revitalization Forum for the ARCSS.
4. Decides to work with all stakeholders in order toensure this High-Level Forum will take place in accordance with the Guideline and Matrix hereby approved.
5. Calls upon all parties to the ARCSS including estranged groups to seize this opportunity to revitalize the ARCSS, renounce violence and todevelop and submit concrete proposals for consideration at the revitalization forum in pursuit of peace in the Republic of South Sudan.
6. Calls upon AU, UN, EU, IPF, Troika, China and all other IGAD partners to support the high-level revitalization process.
7. Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.
Source: Inter Governmental Authority on Development