Busia County Executive Committee member (CEC)for Health and Sanitation, Maurice Siminyu, has urged the striking nurses to obey the request by the Council of Governors chairman (CoG), Josephat Nanok, to resume duty and offer services to members of the public.
Speaking to the nurses at the precincts of his office on Monday, Siminyu said the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and recognition agreement was beyond the County government’s mandate.
The Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) gave a no objection letter to the Council of Governors and a Committee has been formed to discuss the CBA issue at the national level, he said.
He added that the issue of staff shortage was not peculiar to Busia alone but was a concern across the country and affected all departments.
I cannot promise to employ 100 nurses as per your demands because employment is pegged on budgetary allocation, he explained.
The CEC pointed out that Shs.1.9 billion translating to 30 percent of the County’s budget had been allocated for the health department during this financial year.
Siminyu noted that 60 percent of the County’s budget is used to pay workers’ salaries adding that 52 percent of workers in the public service were from the health department.
On promotion, the CEC said the county had done its best in upgrading majority of its health workers
He further clarified that nurses who were working under Economic Stimulus Programme (ESP) had been confirmed on permanent employment terms contrary to the allegations of the union officials.
The nurses who had staged a peaceful demonstration at the CEC’s office vowed to stay put until their demands are addressed.
Led by their branch Chairman, Isaiah Omondi, the healthcare providers said they cannot continue to compromise their service delivery due to poor working conditions.
Omondi said that nurses in the County had staged a number of strikes agitating for human resource issues but none of them had been addressed.
He pointed out that promotions were being done without adhering to the scheme of service adding that no promotion had been effected without the County government being provoked by strikes.
Source: Kenya News Agency