Am not skewed to any political candidate, says County Commissioner

The Isiolo County Commissioner (CC), George Natembeya has dismissed allegations by Jubilee Party political aspirants that he was biased against them and was leaning towards independent candidates.

Natembeya who was reacting to allegations on Thursday by the Jubilee candidates said politicians were disappointed with his impartiality and failure by President Uhuru Kenyatta to endorse them the many times he has visited the county during the campaign period.

The candidates are alleging that I advised the President not to endorse them. They also expect me to accompany them in their rallies which is not right since I am expected to give all political candidates a conducive environment to conduct their campaigns, said the senior administrator.

Natembeya said that the politicians should examine their conscience and desist from issuing wild allegations that had no evidence and may cause confusion among the electorate.

The Jubilee candidates who included gubernatorial (Abdul Bahari) and his running mate Domiciano Maingi, senatorial (Mohamed Liban), Isiolo North Member of Parliament, Joseph Samal and Women Representative candidate, Ms. Rahma Jaldesa had earlier, claimed that the CC was skewed towards independent candidates.

Bahari alleged that his competitors were buying identity cards from his supporters to ensure that they do not vote and that the national administration especially chiefs were using relief food as a carrot to lure supporters to shift to his opponent’s net.

The independent gubernatorial and women representative candidates walk in and out of the County Commissioner’s office and the Women Rep has even repackaged government relief food in her name to woo supporters, said Bahari.

He further alleged that the CC had convened a meeting and mobilised youth using government resources for the independent candidates who were Isiolo Senator, Dr. Mohamed Kuti who is vying for the gubernatorial office and the current Women Rep, Tiyah Galgalo who is defending her seat.

Bahari said their team would mobilise protest demonstrations against the CC and the whole security apparatus if the Principal Secretary for Interior and the Head of Public Service do not take any action.

However, Natembeya dismissed claims that he invited independent candidates into Wednesday’s ‘Sauti 47’ programme and that relief food was being used to lure voters to support a particular candidate and termed the allegations as outrageous.

Dr. Kuti appeared in the ‘Sauti 47’ programme meeting and was invited by the master of ceremony, Dominic Nyambane and it would have been awkward to grab the microphone from him. I even texted Bahari and Madam Fatuma Dhulo to come and speak to the youth to get a fair hearing but they did not turn up, said the CC.

Natembeya further disclosed and provided evidence that ‘Sauti 47’ programme was a government initiative that promotes peace and stability amongst the youth.

It aims at reaching 1, 000 youth leaders per county through meetings that propagated for national cohesion and integration, healthy lifestyle devoid of drugs, and entrepreneurship for self-reliance.

It is composed of five government agencies namely; Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government, National Steering Committee on Peace Building and Conflict Resolution, NACADA, National Cohesion and Integration Commission and the Youth Enterprise Development Fund.

Natembeya also assured residents that no one would deprive the youth their voting opportunity by buying them excessive alcohol on the elections eve since all the drinking joints would be closed by 9.00 pm.

Source: Kenya News Agency